At A Glance
The Chemistry degree program prepares graduates for graduate school, medical school, pharmacy school, or chemistry-related careers. The degree provides in-depth instruction and extensive hands-on laboratory experience. The program is an interdisciplinary, delivered by highly qualified and dedicated faculty in a modern facility with access to examples of current instrumentation. Graduates are qualified to enter advanced programs at the master’s or doctoral level, or seek careers in industrial, environmental, forensic, or medical laboratories. The chemistry major may lead to a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with Concentration in Biochemistry. A minor in chemistry is also available.
Skills and Characteristics
- Curiosity and perseverance
- Ability to concentrate on details
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Leadership ability
- Scientific and mathematical aptitude
- Communication skills
- Ability to build scientific apparatus
- Ability to perform lab experiments and computer modeling
- Ability to apply basic statistical skills
Program Learning Objectives
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of chemistry theory via standardized testing.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use the scientific method in the setting of a modern chemistry lab.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to present research data to a professional audience in a professional manner.
- Students will demonstrate their understanding of social and ethical issues surrounding scientific and technological progress.
- Physical Organic Chemistry
- Thermal Acoustics
- New minors in geology and physics
- Summer undergraduate research
- Environmental Science
- Physical Science Education
Career opportunities in chemistry sometimes require education beyond a bachelor’s degree. For additional information concerning specific areas of concentration, please visit with an advisor.
- Chemical engineer
- Chemical technician
- Crime lab analyst
- Manufactures' representative
- Medical technologist
Salary and Outlook
For more information please contact:
|Dr. Sean Curtis||Ms. Jeana Boster||Ms. JoAnn Chandler|
|Assistant Department Head||Administrative Assistant||Advising Coordinator|
|Physical Sciences||Physical Sciences||College of STEM|